Monday, September 27, 2010

Welcome to my World

I love politics, I have a very strong liberal bias. I love our country and have very strong views about what's right and what's wrong with our country. Did you notice I did not say "My Country" as so many people do. It is not my country, I don't own it and neither do they. It is our country. It belongs to the millions of us and we need to learn to get along and share this wonderful land of ours and all it has to offer.
Our country is made up of wonderful people of every race and religion, many different skin colors and many different beliefs about religion. Many languages have been brought to our shores and gradually developed into English with old country traditions being kept into certain neighborhoods and families.
It has brought us so many cultures that have enriched us over the years from Mexican food, Italian restaurants, Chinese food and on and on. You all know what I mean.
A very large group of our people have different opinions about politics and are quite vocal about their ideas. That is actually a good thing when they offer common sense ideas and are willing to have rational discussions about why they feel the way they do. However, so many of them do not know why they feel the way they do, they just do!
This is where the problem comes in, if you can't support your argument with facts then you don't have one.
We also have quite a few people who disagree about religion and insist that anyone who does not believe they way they do is not only wrong but somehow akin to the devil.
When their feelings about our first black President can't be translated into facts and reason they resort to lies, name calling and comparing him to Hitler. It makes absolutely no sense.
I was born in the South, I know about racism, I grew up with it. I was one of the lucky ones, it just didn't stick! Not trying to be perfect here, I've had my moments.
More tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment